Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: Forget DRM how about onlive European Escalation now in the cloud service called onlive

Page 1

All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Forget DRM how about onlive European Escalation now in the cloud service called onlive
10 MAY 2012 at 6:24am

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

http://www.onlive.com/games/details/wargame-european-escalation#&type=bragclips

Onlive is an online gaming service which allows you to use somebody elses computer somewhere on the net.

Sounds like a good idea to have your game hosted in a server farm with good hardware over the internet?

Means you don't have to spend any money on hardware?

Means that like remote desktop you may be able to play your favorite games on your ipad or android tablet or hdtv.

For me I see:

a) no mods
b) no freedom
c) perhaps in the long term them making you pay a monthly subsciption
d) my net is crap... drops out twice a night. What do I do then?
e) They go bust and so do my games
f) I will have to have some sort of premium account to get better graphics or they will upgrade too slowly when things I want to play come out
g) My game specific hardware that I want to use will be incompatible with their hardware
h) No indy developers just like consoles. Only the big titles or those that will play corporate ball with onlive.

Am I just paranoid? Do I really want to go remote desktop for my games?
Reminds me of banks... we will hold and manage your money for you at least until we GFC you all. Its much better in my mattress where thieves and fire can get at it

Its all about control people. The more we have as gamers the more our hobby will prosper. The more control companies have of our PCs the more we will do what they want. You don't own your PC you are depriving yourself of choice between gaming services and smacking the poor indy devs down to nothingness. Not to mention slowing hardware vendors to a crawl just like consoles do.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games

The Old Guard

Last edited by destraex : 10 MAY 2012 6:37am
Profile Search

10 MAY 2012 at 7:12am

Fetrik

Centurion
Centurion

I'm not interested.

Also i think you need to buy the games you use plus the monthly fee.

Imagine trying to play anything online related which is ping sensitive, like BF3, RO2....

Propably a decent option for the couch player type.

Profile Search
10 MAY 2012 at 3:29pm

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Well not only that. Right now I am thinking of how I installed a custom (not yet released) beta patch for cliffs of dover to work with a server my mates play on. I doubt I could have that much control on their servers. 

I mean I would want to troubleshoot right away too... but I think people managing onlive servers would not care.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games

The Old Guard

Profile Search
10 MAY 2012 at 3:42pm

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

I read Microsoft wanted current versions of Windows (Vista and 7 and

to host all files remotely, so none of your files were actually on your computer.

Profile Search
10 MAY 2012 at 6:23pm

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I'm sure ms want your files so they can lock you in too. That would also make them responsible for backup and privacy. I don't think people would have stood for that.

As people get more and more used to always beong online though I don't think they will care.

The Old Guard

Profile Search
11 MAY 2012 at 4:06am

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By destraex (10 MAY 2012 6:23pm)

I don't think people would have stood for that.

I'm not standing for the Metro interface in Windows 8, so I will not be buying it, and I hope others will not as well.

Then, MS will blame poor sales of W8 on the death of the PC, and stop supporting it in the future.

Profile Search
11 MAY 2012 at 5:15am

DCosta

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By JaguarUSF (11 MAY 2012 4:06am)

Originally Posted By destraex (10 MAY 2012 6:23pm)

I don't think people would have stood for that.

I'm not standing for the Metro interface in Windows 8, so I will not be buying it, and I hope others will not as well.

Then, MS will blame poor sales of W8 on the death of the PC, and stop supporting it in the future.

Here,here. Win8..vomit.

Profile Search
12 MAY 2012 at 6:12am

ghostryder

Colonel
Colonel

Windows 8 is also locking out browsers- which is aimed at the ARM chip in mobiles- without that support firefox, chrome etc will have no access. Years ago they went through a bunch of lawsuits over the same crap and here we are again. It's not exclusive to MS. Apple locked out Flash on it's devices-and is one huge reason I don't do Apple products-aside from thier other prioritory practices and inflated prices.

The Old Guard

Profile Search
All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Forget DRM how about onlive European Escalation now in the cloud service called onlive

Page 1

Jump to:
0 Members Subscribed To This Topic